Improving food systems and diets in Pakistan
February, March 2019
Global Panel engagement in Pakistan
1. High-Level ministerial meeting, held in partnership with the Benazir Income Support Programme, to stimulate action from Federal and Provincial Government to consider options to strengthen nutrition governance in Pakistan, and to support the development of policies that will reposition its food systems to deliver healthy diets. On the same day, Prime Minister Imran Khan launched 'Ehsas': the social safety and poverty alleviation programme, which includes the establishment of a multi-sectoral nutrition coordination body at the Prime Minister's Office.
2. High-Level Roundtable, in partnership with the Benazir Income Support Programme, and with representatives from government, development community, CSOs and non-governmental organisations to build a better understanding of diets and food systems and to highlight the risks of inaction on nutrition. The meeting concluded with particpants signing a statement of intent, in which they agreed on advancing specific, actionable policy options within their spheres of influence to support the provision of safe, affordable, accessible and healthy diets.
3. DFID Pakistan all staff briefing to learn from the Global Panel Director, Prof Sandy Thomas, potential policy initiatives that can support the repositioning of food systems to deliver healthy diets in Pakistan.
4. Session at the Annual Planning Meeting of the Scaling Up Nutrition Civil Society Alliance in Pakistan to provide an overview of the Panel’s work on food system and diets.
5. Presentation of the Global Panel Policy brief on on evidence, recommendations and best practices around the prevention of nutrient loss and waste across the food system, and the implications for Pakistan.